Thursday, December 27, 2007

What Will 2008 Bring O Magic Crystal Ball?

2007 is almost over and I thought I'd take some time to reflect on what I'd like next year to look like. In other words, my reflections are projections.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave my current consulting job and try to figure out something more stimulating for money.

I'm writing my dissertation. No title yet, but the topic is "The Performance of Gender and Sexuality in NYC Hip Hop from 1985 to the Present." I'm looking at 5 iconic subjects to think through how NYC hip hop has been particularly influenced and influential in discussing, critiquing and playing with gender and sexuality. "What is this hip hop we talking about?" you ask. Mais, oui. And my dissertation sets out to illuminate hip hop's fruity/fun history.

Travel. I know I seem to travel a lot, but I want to go places and do meaningful things, not just go on vacation. Vacation is hot, don't get me wrong, but I need to be creating: music, writing, friendships, love. You know what I'm saying?

Yoga Training: I'm contemplating taking a yoga teacher training in either the late summer or early fall. Do I want to be a yoga teacher? I don't know. But I do want that skill.

Complete Meditation Training. I've just completed Level II of the Shambhala Meditation Training. Level III is in March and there are five levels in the first series. I'd like 2008 to see me getting through number 5.

Finish and promote my solo album. I really have been avoiding working on my own career and have been so distracted by making things happen for others. I'm in the studio already, so now to finish those songs, lay down those tracks and promote the hell out of it.

Learn a music program. I have both Garage Band and Reason on my lovely Mac Book Pro. Anyone want to help a sista out???

I'll keep you updated. This blog has no pics because I am at work. See? One more reason to quit.

No comments: